Wesley Gassova: West Ham begin transfer talks to sign £26m Corinthians winger

The teenager is being tracked by the likes of Liverpool and Atletico Madrid
Nizaar Kinsella1 minute ago

West Ham have begun talks to sign Corinthians winger Wesley Gassova.

The 19-year-old is considered one of the most exciting players in Brazil and has been identified as a key target by sporting director Tim Steidten.

The Hammers have started negotiations early in an attempt to beat rivals, including Liverpool, Atletico Madrid and Real Betis, to his signature.

Corinthians reportedly value Wesley at £26million but West Ham hope to reduce the asking price.

AFP via Getty Images

The deal is complicated as Corinthians only own 70 per cent of the player’s rights, with the other 30% belonging to the Sao Paulo-born winger’s representatives.

Wesley has the ability to operate on both flanks but primarily plays as a right-footed left winger option.

The attacker has four goals and two assists this season and has lined up for the Sao Paulo giants 60 times since making his senior debut as a 17-year-old in 2022.

West Ham are keen to add to their attack this summer to ease the burden on Mohammed Kudus and Jarrod Bowen.

Lucas Paqueta has interest from Manchester City this summer but he remains in the dark amid an ongoing FA investigation into alleged betting offences.

Interest in Wesley is unconnected to David Moyes’s eventual departure in the summer. The 61-year-old is set to be replaced by former Wolves boss Julen Lopetegui at the end of the season.